Thursday, October 23, 2014

September 25 = Derek Jeter Day

Zachary is a huge Red Sox fan.  Therefore, I'm assuming Liam will also be a huge Red Sox fan.  On Thursdays, Zachary doesn't get home until around 10:00pm from DC.  So being the cool, hip and sports world informed Mom that I am, I let Liam stay up to watch Derek Jeter's last at bat at Yankee Stadium.  Even as a huge Red Sox fan, Zachary loves watching sports history and this was definitely one for the record books- even if it had been a strike-out or a simple hit.  However- that's not how it went down.  Zachary got home in time to pick Liam up and watch Derek Jeter make history.  Here's the story of what happened:

For one final night, No. 2 was No. 1 in the Bronx.

Fighting back emotions throughout the day, Derek Jeter delivered one last highlight for his Hall of Fame résumé, hitting a walk-off single to lift the Yankees to a 6-5 win in the final home game of his legendary career Thursday night.

As Jeter was mobbed by his teammates in between first and second base, the key players of the 1990s dynasty, including Joe Torre, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte and Tino Martinez lined up in front of the Yankees dugout to congratulate the Captain.

“We’ve shared a lot of success, a lot of memories together,” Jeter said. “I guess this is one last one we can share together.”

After hugging each of his present and past teammates, Jeter made one last trip out to his home at shortstop, where he squatted down and said a short prayer as is his custom before games.

“I wanted to take one last view from short,” Jeter said. “I was trying to take a last view in the top of the ninth and then they tied it, and I thought I would have to go back out there. I basically just said thank you, because this is all I’ve ever wanted to do, and not too many people get an opportunity to do it. It was above and beyond anything I’d ever dreamt of. I don’t even know what to say. I’ve lived a dream, and part of that dream is over now.”





No comments:

Post a Comment