Thursday, December 25, 2014

December 23 = Reflection Day

I was listening to "Mary, Did You Know" today by Pentatonix- it's beautiful.

Mary did you know that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary did you know that your baby boy will calm the storm with his hand?
Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby, you've kissed the face of God.


So Malia is not Jesus but when I was listening to this song, I looked over at her and she was laying on her blanket, staring at her hands.  I started thinking about what those hands would do one day.  Would they do what my hands do every day, prepare food for her babies, change their diapers, encouragingly pat them, pick up the same toys a million times a day?  Or maybe she'll be a nurse one day, and they'll give medications, change IVs and hold the hands of scared patients.  Maybe she'll be an accountant or a CEO or an architect or an engineer.  Whatever she is, I know she'll be great at it and she'll have all my support.

I pictured her giving a speech in front of her classmates at graduation- she may have been the valedictorian or maybe the class president- but in my daydream, I thought to myself, I'll be so honored to be the one that kissed those cheeks and fed her and patted her to sleep. 

And that helps me understand the true meaning of Christmas- to think that Jesus came into the world the same way Malia did- well without the c-section.  But He was an innocent, sweet baby who stared at his hands, I'm sure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment