Monday, January 19, 2015

January 17 = Zucchini Day

I have talked before about how important it is for me for my kids to healthy from the start- I think it's one of the most meaningful, important gifts a parent can give a child.  Never did I ever think I would have this on my stove one day:


 It's cold up here which makes chicken and rice soup a perfect meal!  Here is chopped up carrots, onions, celery and zucchini being sauteed in preparation for my soup!  I've made it several times- the first time I couldn't get enough and then the next few times, it wasn't as good.  I've figured out the key is to let it sit for a while.  So I sauteed the veggies, boiled some chicken and shredded it, mixed that together in chicken broth with some leftover wild rice and we left for Dick's Sporting Goods and let it sit while we were gone- looking forward to eating it when we got back.  Before we left though, Liam had some last minute chores to take care of.


 Zachary got a gift card from my parents for Christmas so as he looked around, I let Liam wander around the store, following closely behind.  At first he was just so thrilled at being able to do whatever he wanted, he was walking up and down every aisle.  And then he found the kayaks.



 Zachary found a Washington Wizards t shirt he liked and Liam found an ice scraper that will probably come in handy before too long.  So we reined Liam in and headed home to enjoy our soup!


Liam always eats what we eat.  Sometimes he will fight us but we just save his dinner for when he realizes he's hungry and that usually works.  Unless his geographic tongue is acting up but that's a whole different story.  We have been a little remiss in feeding Miss Malia solids.  When we were in Jacksonville, towards the end, Liam's occupational therapist told us about a theory of feeding solids to babies in which you just give them tiny pieces of the food instead of pureeing it.  In this way you are able to give the baby whatever the family is already eating and it helps them get used to different textures while giving them a great variety.  Zachary fed Malia a few tiny pieces of zucchini that were super soft having been sauteed and then soaked in the soup and she loved it!   I don't have photographic evidence but Liam loved it too!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment