Wednesday, December 16, 2015

December 11 = Trials and Testing






That's the only picture I took today but I do have a little message I'd like to share. The church we used to go to, Bay Area Community Church, did this really neat thing where they sent everyone whose email address they had a link to register with RightNow Media.  This website has tons of videos that you would show in a Sunday school class- the church we went to in Jacksonville used this site.  So I've been checking out some of the videos.  I started a series by Francis Chan today in James and I just had to share this little tidbit of info.  The book of James has a special place in our family's heart because it was what we relied on to get through Liam's seizures. In chapter 1, James says "Count it all joy my brothers when you meet trials of various kinds for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness."  So Franis Chan informed me this morning through his video that the word James uses that we translate as "testing" is the same word used when you talk about silversmiths "testing" silver to make sure it's pure.  Silver is put through fire which we could compare to trials that we as humans go through.  It's put in fire over and over again until it's found to be pure.  The way a silversmith determines the silver is pure is when he can see his reflection in it.  So our goal when God allows us to endure trials (which we should count as joy), is to have God see his reflection in us in how we deal with said trial.  I just thought this was so interesting and so helpful for me to keep in mind!

1 comment: