Monday, March 21, 2016

March 5A - Matthew, Grace and I go to DC

Matthew and Grace had decided they wanted to go to DC this weekend but instead of staying at a hotel there, Matthew made the economically savvy decision to see if we'd be home.  Since Liam and Malia weren't home, I was happy to tag along with them and go places that I wouldn't be able to go with two children in tow.  We went to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History.  Matthew gave one of the statues his phone to take a selfie- I thought this was hilarious.


Then we walked to the Lincoln Memorial.  It was a pretty long walk... but we made it.



As we were nearing the memorial we saw a lot of people posing for pictures and one pose that seemed common was tilting the head to one side.  We decided to try it:




 The Washington Monument was between the museums and the Lincoln Memorial... I snapped a picture on the way back.  It was perfect weather for a walk around DC.  I've really only walked around DC two other times- my first trip was in June of 2012 when I was very pregnant with Liam and the other was when I was pretty pregnant with Malia and also during the summer.  So it was nice to walk carrying just my own weight and not to be sweating.


 So funny story.  Our plan was to go to the Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture.  So that was our first stop.  We walked and walked and walked and found out it hasn't opened yet.  I watched a 60 Minutes piece on it and was so excited to go but if I had listened to the very beginning of it (which I always miss from fast-forwarding through commercials) I would have heard them say it opens in September.  Oops.  Here's the closed building we walked to but weren't able to enjoy from the inside.



No comments:

Post a Comment